“A nice photo does not need lots of edit; it comes naturally. The greatness of the mountain is absolutely amazing, with the reflection from the lake, under the wonderful sky and beautiful clouds. The natural sunlight is the icing on the cake. You need to be very lucky to capture such a moment! I think Corinne’s photo shows the greatness of natural beauty in a simple and neat way.” - @yungandrew on why he chose @corinne.wyss’ photo.
- On a weekend, we give past Webstapick winners a chance to take on the role of Guest Pickers (or guest judges).
- This weekend’s Guest Picker is Andrew (@yungandrew), from Hong Kong.
More About Our Guest Picker
1. What/who inspires you?
- I was studying in England and I was a backpacker. It was during my travel to other countries when I encountered culture shock, inspiring me to start taking photos for my personal documentary. Now I’ve returned to my hometown Hong Kong. Hong Kong is a city of mixed cultures - where the East meets the West and where Urban meets Nature. I live in the city and every weekend I go hiking to discover another part of Hong Kong. You would never imagine (nature) photos being taken in such a crowded city, and these places are just less than an hour of travel! Natural beauty inspires me to discover more around the world. And recently I just did my hike to Mount Fuji!
2. What’s one tip you can give our readers when it comes to taking photos (or videos) on their smartphones?
- To keep the horizon line level is really a basic technique but it does affect your photo’s composition. Luckily, Instagram has the adjustment tool to rescue your photos.
3. Favorite photo or video editing apps
- I was using Camera+ in the past, but now most of my photos are edited by VSCOcam and I use SlowShutter for taking light trail. I use TimeLapse (it’s really the apps name!) to take time lapse and usually I’ll edit it by Lumify.
4. Favorite Instagramers
- @rambler15 - One of the most promising typographer (minimalist style) in Hong Kong. Most of the local Instagramers call him the Master of Hong Kong!
- @hang_ho - He is the one who inspired me to hike more! His passion in hiking and chasing sunrise/sunset is unbelievable, which is why he can take lots of natural pictures of Hong Kong. (And don’t forget to check out his hiking partners! There are too many to mention!)
- @lielaine - Different style from mine; she loves to capture the urban side of Hong Kong and she is one of the most famous ‘rooftoppers’ in Hong Kong!
- @mattglastonbury - I never met such a person so passionate in photography and Instagram. He does lots of experimental shot and tutorial on Instagram too!
5. Are you part of any photo community on Instagram?
Get more familiar about Webstapick by joining our community!